Welcome to La Laguna
San Cristóbal de La Laguna is a municipality located in the northeast of Tenerife in the province of Santa Cruz de Tenerife. Tenerife is one of seven Canary Islands (Spain) that measures 102.05 km2.
The city of San Cristóbal de La Laguna was founded in the 15th Century by the governor of the province, Alonso Fernández de Lugo, and was the capital of both the island and the archipelago until the 19th Century. San Cristóbal de La Laguna is only 10 km distance from Santa Cruz de Tenerife, which has since supplanted it as the capital city in large part because of its strategic coastal location. The regional importance of San Cristóbal de La Laguna is in part due to the fact that the Universidad de La Laguna and its various campuses (Central, Geneto, Guajara and Ofra) have been located there since 1792 and receive students from all over the archipelago.
The majority of the municipality is located on relatively large area of flat land, which is where the capital itself and La Vega are located. Until recently run-off water from the surrounding mountains was deposited in this area, making it one of the richest agricultural areas in Tenerife. The rest of the enclaves, such as Taco, La Cuesta, Tejina and Valle Guerra are located at a slightly lower altitude, or can be found on the coast as in the case of the residential-tourism hotspots of Bajamar and Punta del Hidalgo.
San Cristóbal de La Laguna is connected to the capital city (Santa Cruz) and the municipalities of La Orotava and Tegueste by the northern motorway, which also connects to the nearby airport called Los Rodeos.
A large laurisilva forest known as Las Mercedes can be found growing within the limits of the municipality in an area that connects to the Anaga peninsula. Two of the island’s main rural parks are located in this region.